Well, you can't say I didn't try. I spent all morning and half the evening shopping my closet and then asked my long-suffering daughter to take photos of what I thought were the best possibilities.
Warning: Pic heavy.
Possible laughs ahead.
First thing you should know is that the venue is one of those weird hip places that apparently looks like a complete dive, but serves good food. I'm not actually eating here; I'm going to give my reading, sit a while with the other readers, and then nip out early to go on to dinner with my friends at another restaurant. Nothing fancy.
Here are the contenders with some of my thoughts, but not judgements.
1. AJ suggested this combination and I thought I would try it out. Pros: cozy, fun, tonal outfit. Cons: a bit more body con than I might wish. A bit too much like my everyday style to feel special. But all in all, a great outfit for an at-home holiday event. (Thanks, AJ!!)
2. Another suggestion from AJ was that I take a leaf from one of Jonesy's outfits, so here is my attempt: denim shirt, pencil, Marcies, blingy stuff and clutch. Pros: comfortable and easy to wear. Cons: I am not sure.
3/4. Next up, same skirt with a navy silk shirt and sequinned tank layered over. Both done up at the collar and more open.
5. With my Theory moto pants. I don't like the proportion here. I could tuck the tank up a bit more, I guess, the way I did with the skirt (but not so much).
6. A wild card. Manidipa and Pil put in fuchsia requests so I threw on the silk jacket from the fuchsia suit and belted it.
7- 12: Angie and Krish copies. BB shirt, lace overblouse. With the pants or the skirt. I am not at ALL pleased with the side view with those Marcies. All in all, I feel as if I REALLY have a need for a dressier, heeled black or dark grey bootie. Big wardrobe hole. Could potentially fill it tomorrow afternoon in Toronto.
In 11/12 I try with different footwear. Husband and daughter laughed at the idea of the leopard pumps. I do have some very dark burgundy patent ones I could wear but I feel a bit uncomfortable wearing them in a "dive."
15. Joy's suggestion - the copper skirt. My daughter says I look like a leaf bag in this...or a pile of compost. Hubs says it is a dumb outfit because the top and skirt do not go together. I say I am not wearing it to this event because I would be too cold; the skirt is thin and unlined and my coat options with this outfit are nil. So it's out of the running.
That, my friends, is it! Please let me know which of these is best or if I should go back to the drawing board again. I have an hour ot two in the morning before we leave.
Thank you so much for your helpful ideas!!