This feels like more or less the right size of wardrobe to me. I have not got as far as tracking wears of specific items, but I know that I do wear everything in the closet — although obviously some items are much more heavily worn than others. In the months to come, I think I will try to keep better accounting of this, so that I can get a clearer picture of my future needs.
Here's the breakdown, for the number loving souls out there. Skip if you like:
- Dresses: 8 (4 F/W; 4 S/S)
- Skirts: 5 (2 F/W; 3 S/S)
- Pants: 9 (6 F/W; 3 S/S)
- Denim: 11 (Note -- jeans are worn F/ W/ and Spring in my climate -- almost never in July/ August).
- Shorts: 10 (Note: I have more shorts than I think I need. Especially since I pretty much ONLY wear these in July and August. Two were not purchased but rescued from my daughter's donate bag -- they don't fit her but do fit me and they are Gap BF shorts so I like them. Two of my shorts are dressy shorts so are almost skirt substitutes. But for the rest, they take the place of my denim capsule for July/August.)
- Toppers: 9
- Long sleeved tops: 21 (14 F/W; 7 S/S)
- Sleeveless or tees: 18 (Note: these are primarily S/S but I do layer some, even the sleeveless)
- Knitwear: 24 (18 F/W; 6 S/S)
So. This is the size of wardrobe I THINK I want. And SAY I want. But here's the dirty truth: I know without a doubt that come February, despite having a full closet, I'm going to feel bored! Bored! Bored! I will have worn every single one of those knit tops somewhere around 7 times by then. Some much more -- because I do layer them. (BRRRRR)
And I know that I don't get bored during the summer. I wear everything I have and thoroughly enjoy it. I just don't wear it as often.
Does this mean I really could use even more stuff? Or does this just mean I'm greedy? Hmmm.
Thank you for reading this far, if you have, and I'd love to hear any thoughts!